> Also, a friend keeps telling me that Leica
        > rangefinder cameras produce much sharper
        > photographs than photos taken with Nikon
        > lenses of similar focal length. Does
        > anyone have an educated opinion on this?

        No.  Yes.  Well. . . . It's more complicated
        than that.

        Leica lenses are all outstanding.  The wide-angle
        Leica rangefinder lenses are noticeably sharper
        in the corners at their maximum aperture than
        the Nikkors are.  The telephotos are a bitch to
        focus, though.  Most people have to stop them
        down to get really sharp pictures.

        The bottom line is -- he's comparing apples and
        oranges.  We should compare rangefinders to
        rangefinders.

        A Mamiya 7 makes MUCH sharper pictures than a
        Leica does -- so there  :-p

        I want a Leica though.  They're cute.

        -Don