> As was pointed out previously and quite correctly, the speed of certain
> Nikon lenses is limited by the diameter of the old F mount which is
> considerably smaller than Canons EF mount. That is why you see fast
> lenses such as the 200/1.8 and 50/1.0 from Canon and not from Nikon.

Nikon produced a 200/2 and a 58/1.2 in manual mount. The slight
difference (vs 200/2 and 50/1) is too small to be relevant. I don't know
how difficult it would be to produce a 85 1.2 with a F mount, but again,
1.4 vs 1.2 is not a big deal.

> Again this was the unfortunate cost of keeping the older F mount and
> preserving backward compatibility which by the way, is really falling by
> the wayside also. The term should be modified to something like "limited
> backward compatibility". As matrix metering and other functions have
> been sacrificed.

I prefer limited backward compatibility than no compatibility at all.
And remember, even limited, a MF lens on an AF body usually offer much
more than the same lens on a MF body (no MF Nikon camera had spot
metering or built-in winder, few had TTL flash metering to name a few).

Hope this helps,

Nicolas.