If I already owned a 50-135, I would probably not swap it out
for a 75-150/E (I speak as an owner of the latter, but I have
tried out the former).  The primary disadvantage of the 50-135
is the 62mm filter size, the slightly shorter max. focal length,
and it's more-or-less token macro mode, but the two lenses are
otherwise quit comparable.  The build quality of the 50-135 is
of course higher, but the 75-150/E isn't so bad (main problems
are the plastic aperature ring and the zoom action tending to
go quite loose over time).  In sharpness terms, one senior Nikon
technician was quoted as saying that these two lenses were the
sharpest Nikon zooms ever made (pre-AF).

The hood for the 75-150/E is the HN-21, and it is long out of
production, and tends to be hard to track down, as few of the
mass-market purchasers of series E lenses worried about subtelties
like hoods.  The suggestions of the HS-7 or HR-2 are both good
and I have tried them both before I found a new HN-21 in stock
at a NY camera dealer.  As was mentioned by others, it's a _really_
good idea to use a hood at all times with a 12-element zoom lens,
if only to increase contrast in your photos, and secondarily, to
protect the lens from damage.

grant..