Sorry, I forgot to put you in copy.

Chris Somers wrote:
>         These numbers can't be right -- especially that full power duration
>         is 1/150s.

This number comes from the test of the recent Canon 550 EX flash. I
remember a group of flashes were tested a while ago and numbers were
usually around 1/200s to 1/300s for full power.

>         Many of Nikon's cameras give *full* sync at 1/250s
>         shutter speed.  The duration of full-power flash HAS to be shorter
>         than that.

It does not really have to. 90% of the flash power is still emitted in
the 1/250s window. It is the flash trail which is partly blocked by the
rear curtain. The result is just a possible slight underexposure
compared to the official guide number.

>         I don't have my speedlight manual with me, but I thought that the
>         flash duration v. power tables were given in there.

It all depends on how you measure the flash duration, as the flash
intensity decreases as a negative exponential after the main burst. If
you measure the mean burst width only, as most manufacturers seem to do,
you only measure a duration which corresponds to about 70%(*) of the
power. The magazine that performed the tests preferred a measure that
corresponds to about 90%(*) of the power, hence the longer duration.
This is not a major problem. As stated above, the only result is a
slight diminution of the available guide number, when using fast sync
speeds. Fast speeds are often used for fill-in, and brute flash power is
rarely needed in these cases.
Still, the problem worsen with bigger flashes, so care has to be taken
before using huge strobes with a sync speed of 1/300s.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas.

(*) I am nut sure of the exact numbers anymore, but the reasoning
remains the same.