Hi folks,

There seem to be a number of posts which complain about Nikon losing
backward compatibility, particularly with regards to matrix metering,
such as the following post for example:
______________________
Wrong! Your brand new highly acclaimed matrix metering would no longer
function and that ain't no different than using an FE2 or an F3 with
spot metering. Now don't get me wrong, both of those cameras are great
for what they are but, you buy an F100 for more. That sounds like
limited backward compatibility to me.
______________________

The thing is, aside from the -- in the LCD the original poster mentions,
full compatibility IS maintained... AI lenses were never designed for
matrix metering, back in the days when there was only spot and centre
weighted... to expect AI(S) lenses to matrix meter is asking for FORWARD
compatibility, to which Nikon has never claimed. If you look at it
another way, it's like asking your MF lenses to AF... think about it...
same thing.

Now let's stop complaining... I for one am happy, and with the ADR on
the F5, my AIS lenses work exactly like they do on my FE2 and FM2...
isn't that full compatibility?

Cheers,

Jed
--