<snip>
It's interesting to note that the thumbwheel idea of a shutter control
seems relatively recent. F, FE, FM, FA, F3, even F4 I think, as well as
Pentax Spotmatics and almost everybody pre-1980 all have a knob you have
grip and sometimes even pull up first with thumb and forefinger of right

hand to adjust the shutter-speed. I’m a little clumsy (and I panic and
make
mistakes when I’m trying to grab a quick shot of something that’s
disappearing or losing it’s naturally great composition fast), so
personally
I find this arrangement inconvenient.
I wonder, could the much more user-friendly single thumb or
forefinger-stroke operation of the shutter-speed dial be a reflection of

improved film-speeds allowing
increased popular emphasis on action photography, sports and war-zone
reporting, plus the fact that the actual selected shooting speed could
be
shown in the viewfinder from the 1980s onward. Apart from war-zone and
sports photography, picture-taking previous to 1970 was a more relaxed
affair, with more formal poses allowing more time for the photographer
adjust his camera settings, therefore, a viewfinder setting display and
one-finger control of shutter speed wasn't so necessary? Could that be
it?)

Tube,

No, I think you have it wrong. Those older cameras used mechanical
controls to change the shutter speeds and F-stops. The thumbwheels are
electrical rotary switches. The reason for the change is that switches
take much less force to operate than do mechanical controls.

And as to photography being more staid in the 70's, well as a newspaper
stringer then, I would have to disagree. The 60's and 70's were the
heyday of the great Life photojournalists, and nobody would call their
work more formal than the work of today. In fact, I would say just the
opposite! Those were the days of Leicas with f/0.95 lenses doing all
kinds of work in available light, mostly in B&W, because flash bulbs
(yes, I used to use them) were expensive, inconvenient, and obtrusive.

Today, there is more emphasis on filters and tighter compositions than
in the past. Why? Styles change, equipment changes (graduated filters,
TTL strobes (TTL meters, for that matter), zoom lenses). These things
didn't exist in the 60's and 70's.  No self-respecting photographer in
the 60's would be caught dead putting his camera on a tripod, except for
extreme exposures. Today, many people advocate using a tripod for all
possible shots, although personally, I think this tripod fanaticism
defeats the purpose of a 35 mm camera (small, light, unobtrusive). LF
and MF, yes, 35 mm, no.

If you notice, today most lenses are zooms, with 'pro' lenses at f/2.8
(Nikon's 20-35 f/2.8., 35-70 f/2.8, and 80-200mm f/2.8 are classic
examples) and amateur at f/3.5 to 4.5. In the 60's and 70's, lenses were
fixed focal lengths, normally (moderate WA to moderate tele) f/2 or
faster.

Colin