This is not necessarily the most elegant or versatile solution but it is
inexpensive and works well for many applications.

Base model:  A small piece (e.g., 20 cm x 20 cm) of plywood with a hole
drilled for a countersunk  3/8-inch bolt for attaching a ball head.

Deluxe model:  A small piece (e.g., 30 cm x 30 cm) of plywood with a hole
drilled for a countersunk 3/8-inch carriage bolt of appropriate length
(e.g., 5-1/2 inches) inserted through a dowel of appropriate length with a
hole drilled through the center.  Pass the bolt through the base and the
dowel and then attach the ballhead.  The cost is a few dollars for the
non-Nikon USA version.

>Does anybody have any recommendations for a 'almost
>ground-level'
>tripod?   I plan on using this for macro work with an F5 and
>the
>appropriate macro lens, or possibly a PB-6, so it needs to
>be VERY
>sturdy and have a wide leg base.

Bert P. Krages
Environmental Law