Date sent:              Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:09:11 +1300
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nikon-digest)
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                nikon-digest V4 #127
Simon,
Let me give this a shot.  I just recently got and N90s and SB-28

> I have just purchased a SB-28 flash to go with my F90X. I have two
> questions?
>
> 1. The indicator bars on the distance scale flash on and off. Is this
> normal?
You have the head tilted down a few percent (for close up flash).
Just push the button and tilt it up a little.  It's just a warning.

> 2. Can anyone give me a summary of which camera/flash setting to use in
> typical situations?

I normally make sure that the flash is on matrix and ttl  with a
compensation of 0.0 assuming you use program matrix metering.
Often I like to turn down flash at least 1.7 for fill flash outside etc.
I hate the red-eye mode - too slow.
Sometimes I need to balance outside light to inside light.  You can
switch to manual (set flash to aperature is easiest or manual with
flash meter) and adjust to any shutter speed that makes outside
meter reading about 1 stop lighter than your proposed flash inside.
Just remember to clear out all of these manual modes so that
everything is automatic for quick photos (by your wife for instance)
Hope this helps

michael

Michael O'Hara
Galehouse Construction