"Lal C. Dissanayake Jnr" wrote:
>Could someone tell me about the quality difference between using a AF80-200
>f/2.8D vs a prime lens such as AF85 f/1.8D or AF 105 f/2D for portraits and
>general use.

I have the 80-200/f2.8D N and the 85/f1.8D.  I prefer the 85 for portraits.
The zoom has a bit of distortion, it doesn't focus as closely as the 85
and it isn't as fast as the 85 - so there is less control over depth of field.
The color, sharpness, contrast and brilliance of the 85 and 80-200 are all very good
with both lenses.  The main reason I prefer the 85 over the zoom is its
shorter minimum focusing distance.

David Johnson