Hi fellow Nikon users,

>     Neither the "T" or "B" setting drain the battery while keeping the
>shutter open.  The "T" setting will keep the shutter open until you turn
>the shutter speed dial off of that position. You won't need a cable
>release with the "T" but you would with the "B".  H.G.

  Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that while the "T" does not drain
the batteries (to keep the shutter open), the "B" setting requires the use
of batteries (for F3 and later Nikon models) to keep the shutter open.  I
once went out with a friend on a cold winter early morning (to shoot really
long exposures, mostly seascapes) and he had his F4s on "B".  Before the end
of the morning, his batteries (fully recharged) were half drained.  I used
the "T" setting and the batteries were okay.

  Also, if you don't have a cable release when using the "B" or "T" setting,
you can use the self timer to fire the  shutter.  so, you won't really need
the cable release and saves you fiddling around to screw the release down.

Regards,
Deric Soh.