In Nikon-digest V4 #145, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says:

> Three months later I have still received nothing.  I've called B&H several
> times, sent them letters, and faxed them.  Each time I've been told that
> they would send out the papers as soon as possible.  This morning I called
> Nikon.  The representative was very nice about the whole thing, but he said
> that the warranty card is the only proof I have that I in fact purchased
> Nikon USA and not grey market.  He further said that what B&H has done is
> frankly illegal and that they must provide the warranty paperwork or I
> should return the camera immediately.  Nikon has filed a dealer complaint
> which could affect B&H's status.

The Nikon representative's statement contradicts my understanding of
FTC regulations regarding warranties.  In particular, about a decade or
so ago, the FTC ruled that it is illegal for the manufacturer of any
product to require any particular action on the part of a purchaser as
a condition for warranty coverage.  The manufacturers love it when you send
in warranty cards, because then they can sell your name to other sources
of junk mail, but they cannot require it as a condition of providing
warrant service.

That said, I am rather surprised that B&H would not rectify such a matter
promptly.  I hope you have sent a copy of your email message to Henry
Posner, [EMAIL PROTECTED], and given him a chance to reply to this
forum.

--
Andrew Koenig, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.research.att.com/info/ark