>Let's see: 16 bit color, 335 sensors... that gives us about 1 kbyte of
>info per picture.  Now if we have a database reference of 30,000 pictures,
>we need about 30 megabytes of ROM to hold all this info (assuming no
>compression).  I don't think so.  Maybe 30,000 pictures were used in
>developing the metering algorithm, but I really doubt the F5 has a
>database of 30,000 'pictures' in it.

It doesn't. 30,000 pictures were used to develop the algorithms that the
matrix uses. There isn't 30,000 of anything inside the camera. In fact
there is some doubt as to in what way there are even 1005 pixels since
the camera actually evaluates the results in zones, which makes you
wonder if the 1005 may be a marketing thing.

Appreciate the F5's meter for how good it is (and it is great), rather
than try and understand it at too deep a level, because a lot of it is
guess-work.