Ross -
Bogen makes a monopod that has 3 little legs that extend from the bottom. I
don't own one, but I did mess around with one at B&H one afternoon. If I
remember right, the monopod was around $50 or so. Bogen also makes a small
swivel head for $15 that works well on monopods.
Monopods aren't as stable as a tripod, but they're definitely better than
handholding. The best use for one, in my opinion, is for a telephoto lens.
For 1:1 macro work, I'd definitely want the camera on a tripod and I'd want
to use a cable release.

Eric Edelman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.edelmans.org

<<From: "Goldberg, Ross P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monopods and Mini-Tripods [v04.n319/8]
Which brings me to my question...what would be a good monopod?  Or is there
a mini-tripod or a more stable two-legged (bi-pod?) one that would do well
for me?  Monopods sound convenient, but if they're no better than bracing on
one's arm, that won't solve camera shake too well, and for macro shooting it
may not be acceptable since the depth of field is so narrow to begin with.
Ross>>>