I have shot over 70 weddings using F4 or F5 with 35 - 105 lens, SB-24
or SB-25 on a                   Stroboframe bracket. I have found that you can tilt the
flash downward just a little, and               also turn the flash just slightly
(left or right) to line up the IR beam with the central         AF sensor to
get the auto focus assist light to work. When you switch from horizontal
to              vertical, you have to line up the beam again. Should also work with
the N90. Hope this                      helps. Bob Ennis