> Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:26:19 -0600
> Subject: Re: This list is looking for a new home [v04.n319/1]
[v04.n331/21]

> I am against a 'web-based' forum.
>
> #1.  It's not >DELIVERED< into my mailbox
> #2.  I cannot keep local copies of postings
> #3.  I will forget about the digest at some point in time
> #4.  It's not as easy to PRINT 'postings since last check' so I
>      can read them away from the computer.
> #5.  Some 'free' servers gather 'email address' on their servers and
>      sell them for SPAM purposes.

It has been pointed out several times in the last few Digests that
a web forum such as photo.net provides an option to deliver new articles
in a digest format by e-mail. Hence points #1 to #4 don't make much
sense.

#5 is even farther off the mark. Any one of us can go to the Nikon Digest
server to acquire a complete list of the e-mail address of all the Digest
precipitants. If you are really that concerned about getting spammed,
you shouldn't (1) join the Nikon Digest and (2) post to the Digest.
A web forum, on the other hand, can be read without ever providing your
e-mail address. Of course, if you post, that is a different situation, but
you are still no worse off than posting to an e-mail digest.

As far as I can see, the only major problem with photo.net is that
you cannot post by e-mail, and that is indeed a major problem for
those without web access. However, unfortunately, a lot of people
simply oppose it without understanding the pros and cons.

The bottomline is that as far as I know, there is still nobody with time
and resources to replace the great work Andrew Donkin has been doing
in the last 5 years. If the majority wants to keep it as an e-mail Digest,
who is going to replace Andrew?

-- Shun Cheung                [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 (732) 615-5135
      Kenya Photo Safari -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/kenya.html
          Antarctica -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/antarctica.html