> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 17:09:09 -0600
> From: Bryce Hashizume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: This list is looking for a new home  [v04.n335/1]
> Message: 1

> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999 22:13:22 +1200 "Shun Cheung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >#5 is even farther off the mark. Any one of us can go to the Nikon
Digest
> >server to acquire a complete list of the e-mail address of all the
Digest
> >precipitants. If you are really that concerned about getting spammed,
> >you shouldn't (1) join the Nikon Digest and (2) post to the Digest.
> >A web forum, on the other hand, can be read without ever providing your
> >e-mail address. Of course, if you post, that is a different situation,
but
> >you are still no worse off than posting to an e-mail digest.
>
> This need not be so.  Some majordomo's allow you to protect the
subscriber list,
> and access to individual e-mail addresses are available only through the
list
> administrator.  That's certainly an option on the majordomo used at my
> university

First of all, the current Nikon Digest's subscribed list isn't protected. I
have
obtained the compete list a few times in the past. More importantly, since
you can always read a web forum without providing any e-mail address, you
are still no worse off with a web forum as far a revealing your e-mail
address
is concerned.

Unfortunately, we keep on getting sidetracked by these issues in this
entire discussion. Andrew Donkin has indicated that he would like to stop
distributing the Nikon Digest by June/July. In other words, unless Andrew
changes his mind, we need to find a successor or the Nikon Digest will end
in about three months. Over the years, Andrew has indicated that the cost
to mail out so many messages per day has been a financial burden to his
university, and we basically have been ignoring these issues and hoping
that life goes on as usual.

Now we are facing the end of the Nikon Digest, and people are acting
like they are choosing among Canon, Leica, Minolta, Nikon ... and
indicating their preferences. Keep in mind that the Nikon Digest is a free
service; we are not paying customers. If you are getting something for
free, better not be too picky. And you need to hope that some volunteer
will keep providing this free service. Now Andrew wants out, I have asked
several times for volunteers to continue this work. While there are so many
opinions on which format they prefer, at least I haven't seen any
volunteers
except that I have contacted Philip Greenspun and photo.net is an option,
and apparently the only option at this time.

photo.net is a well established web forum and I have personally gotten
a lot of help from the Nature Photography Forum and Medium Format Forum
there. Unfortunately, you cannot post by e-mail, otherwise, I can recommend
it with absolutely no reservations. And it has the advantages of very fast
turn-around time and excellent indexing, which are IMO problems in an
e-mail digest such as this one.

We can wait a little while and see whether there are other options. Maybe
Andrew will change his mind. Otherwise, we are facing the possibility that
the Nikon Digest will end altogether.

-- Shun Cheung                [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 (732) 615-5135
      Kenya Photo Safari -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/kenya.html
          Antarctica -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/antarctica.html