From: David Oltman
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nistnet] Packets queued up indefinetly

I've seen a problem like this on our NIST Net "router" (a PC configured with two NICs).  Our "router" works fine if we limit bandwidth just once after booting the machine.  However, if we try to change the bandwidth limiting factor more than once during a single session, NIST Net will queue all packets on the connection and all transmission will stop.  Rebooting the machine fixes the problem.  We may be doing something wrong, but I'm at a loss to figure what that might be.

Dave Oltman
SAIC, Inc.

Erwin Himawan wrote:
Did you sending packet faster than the NistNet emulated bandwidth?  If you did this, you have to set NistNet Drop mechanism as well.  I believe NistNet uses DRD algorithm to drop the packet due to congestion.  If you do not configure DRD, you will experience increasing delay as time progressing.

When you are introducing delay; you are indirectly affecting the bandwidth.  For example, you have 10mbps bandwidth, which mean you inout 10mb, after 1 second you got 10mb; so your bw is 10mbps.  Assuming you are putting 1 second delay, the affect is you are reducing the bandwidth by half; i.e after two seconds you got the 10mb, which means your bw is 5 mbps.  As you are sending at constant data rate 10mbps to 5mbps bw, your emulated network experiencing congestion.  Without congestion avoidance configured at NistNet, NistNet will buffer the input data rate infinetely and the result is you observe increasing delay as time is progressing.  I believe if you are sending rate is less than 5mbps, you should not see constant delay instead of increasing delay.

In order to pretty much emulate the network you are emulating, you need to find out what your network will do if the network experience congestion?  Does the network drop the packet? What algorithm the network choose to drop the packet? Tail, Front or Random?  What is the threshold when the network starts to trigger the congestion avoidance mechanism?

Hopefully, I understand your question correctly and provide the answer you are looking into.

Erwin