From: David Morris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 6:30 PM
To: Walter Tuvell
Cc: nistnet@antd.nist.gov
Subject: RE: [nistnet] NISTnet not working properly

Well, on slackware specifically, w/o a modularized RTC such that nistnet
can replace it, NISTNet did not work correctly. I nolonger recall the
specific symptoms.

Based on following this list for > 2.5 years and listening to many
problems as well as my own problems, resolved by rebuilding the kernel
with modularized RTC, I would conclude that the proper solution is to
modularized RTC. Hence my initial response.

I would guess that under some circumstances, nistnet's takeover of the
RTC
isn't 100% successful if the existing RTC isn't removed.

As I said, from my experienced, and from others posting to this list,
the RTC problem should be resolved with a proper kernel.

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Walter Tuvell wrote:

> Maybe we're talking about different things?  I'm not sure what you
mean
> by "the NistNet RTC module"?  I've been referring to the standard
Linux
> RTC module, /dev/rtc, as documented in
> http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-8.0/docs/linux-2.4.5/rtc.txt.
>

> Of course NistNet won't work if /dev/rtc doesn't exist.  But that's
not
> what's under discussion.  What's being discussed is the warning msg
> Deepanshu posted (repeated below), regarding whether or not the RTC
> should be *modularized*.  And that's addressed by README.Clock.
>

> I have not modularized the RTC, so I get this warning message too, yet
> NISTnet runs just fine (using the regular, non-modularized, /dev/rtc).
> This isn't a problem for me because the machine is captive (used only
> for NISTnet, not other apps), and the known side-effects on the
hwclock
> calls in rc files can be fixed per README.Clock.
>

> /*
>
> For reference, here's the original warning msg posted by Deepanshu:
>

> > rmmod: module rtc is not loaded
>
> > Couldn't find rtc module -
>
> > /dev/rtc will be mostly unusable after running istnet. Sorry about
>
> > that.....
>
> > To prevent this message recompile rtc (Enhanced Real Time Clock
>
> > Support, under character devices) as a module.
>
> */

RTC

> is required and that is the point of the error message which started
> this
>
> thread. My post was terse ... fix the RTC issue. The install
> instructions
>
> are clear, the kernel must be built with a modular RTC. The NistNet
RTC
> is
>
> compiled as part of the NistNet make.
>

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Walter Tuvell wrote:
>

> > I agree with what you've said here, except for our interpretations
of

> > the initiating note.  What that suggested to me was that the user
was

> > merely running with a non-modularized RTC.  In that case,
README.Clock