For starters, PING is ICMP not UDP and not port based. As I recall,
NistNet will only deal with a PING if all traffic between two IPs is
'filtered'.

The NistNet system needs to be viewed as a router between two subnets. You
are involving the NistNet system directly in your data flow for the ping.
I can recall many attempts of the 2+ years I've followed this list where
folks have wanted to run NistNET on one end of the filtered connection. I
can't recall anyone reporting success. I think the way that NISTNet grabs
packets is not compatible with what you are trying to arrange.

Ping is not going to ever deal with ports so your basic desire won't work.

You might, stress 'might', be able to use machine B as both ends but you
would have to establish two subnets. Even then it is likely that the linux
system will just ignore your desire and route within the system.

Hardware is REALLY cheap these days ... if you have an experiment worth
conducting you are better off setting up 3 machines with two endpoints and
NistNet.

You might beable to run Xen on a dual physical interface system with
appropriate network bridging and interface binding so that the xen system
DomUs could be your endpoints and perhaps NistNet.