________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Emin Gencpinar
Sent: Thursday, 16 November 2006 8:57 a.m.
To: nistnet@antd.nist.gov
Subject: [nistnet] What does NISTNet as a router mean ?

Hi all NISTNet users,

"
NIST Net is implemented as a kernel module extension to the Linux
operating system and an X Window System-based user interface
application. In use, the tool allows an inexpensive PC-based router to
emulate numerous complex performance scenarios, including: tunable
packet delay distributions, congestion and background loss, bandwidth
limitation, and packet reordering / duplication.
"

We want to communicate two hosts at the same LAN :) but to emulate them
as a WAN. They are at the same subnet like 192.168.X.X. Can the two
hosts at the same subnet communicate by NISTNet ? As a router, what an
extra configuration will we need ? We have two ethernet cards attached
over our emulator machine, to effect traffic, to set packet delays...
etc. with host1 from the eth0 and host2 from eth1 in this network. Do we
need two ethernet cards like that for such an aim ? And what
configuration do we need to success this with NISTNet ? We will use
Gentoo Linux to successfully install NISTNet and use it as a module.

As a last question;

"Do these two commands help us to emulate our network ?"

For emulating
("cnistnet up" at the beginning)
cnistnet src dest --delay --bandwidth ... etc

And watching what is going on at the background
xnistnet

And saying that the system is working well, :)))
cnistnet -S src dest ...

Thanks for all in advance...
Need help as soon as possible :=)

PLEASE NOTE: This email (including any  attachments) is confidential, and may be
protected by legal privilege and copyright.  If you have received it in error
please notify us immediately and delete it - it is unlawful to retain, print,
distribute or reproduce it.  We employ anti-virus software, but cannot guarantee
emails are virus-free. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
originating organisation.