Hi,
if you are using a wired network, use nam, which comes with ns. For me,
dealing with wireless networks, a tool called iNSpect works quite well
in order to get a rough overview about what happens when.
(http://toilers.mines.edu/Public/NsInspect)

On top of that there is another version of iNSpect (v 3.4 I believe)
that is developed by Fraunofer IGD. This tool has differetn featres than
the original Toilers version.
(http://www.igd.fraunhofer.de/igd-a8/en/projects/mobsec/inspect/)

Also there is tracegraph to interpret the .tr files...
(http://www.tracegraph.com/)

Hope that is a start...

Claus