I would agree with Colin that the trouble is most likely to be caused by a
hard reed. A hard reed naturally wants to vibrate at a higher frequency and
favours the high harmonics - which of course is also what you want to a
certain extent to give a bright tone - but not too much. The problem is not
scraping it so much that the squeaks go, but you also lose the brightness.
However, a reed which is trying to produce high harmonics is either helped
or hindered by various features in the chanter.
What is happening when a note squeaks is that the chanter is being induced
to produce a harmonic instead of the fundamental note - i.e. the vibrating
air column is breaking up into sections. I may be open to correction in my
acoustic theory here, and would welcome any input from people who have
studied the subject in depth, but the basic situation is that an NSP
chanter, being a "closed" tube, overblows at the 12th (2nd harmonic) which
means the column breaks into three, and there are certain places on the
tube - corresponding to these sections - where the harmonic can be very
easily induced by leaking a finger or a key. Because of the overall length
of the chanter, the place where any slight leak most easily starts the
harmonic is usually around the low G, F# or E key. I have tried to correct
squeaks by lengthening the chanter, as well as by inserting a longer plug in
the end (effectively shortening it) and the result has often just been to
move the "squeaking hole" further down or up - e.g. a chanter squeaking on
G, with an extra length joined on the bottom, then starts squeaking on F#
instead (My aim in using this technique has been to try and get the
theoretical "optimum squeaking point" BETWEEN holes rather than just AT a
hole, but it has not been very successful).

Another factor is that a small hole seems more capable of inducing a squeak
than a large one, acting like the small "speaker key" on a clarinet, or like
"pinching" or half-opening the thumb hole on a recorder. The first chanter I
ever made, accurately copying an old Robert Reid chanter, and therefore very
slender with thin walls and some really big "finger-sinker" holes, is almost
impossible to induce a squeak on - even with a hard potentially squeaky
reed. All the holes vent the full diameter of the tube and therefore sound
the fundamental - just like successively cutting off bits of the chanter
length instead of opening holes in the side. By contrast, thicker-walled
chanters with small, neat holes squeak very readily when using the same
reed. One can correct this tendency to a certain extent by undercutting the
hole (downwards so as not to sharpen the pitch). However, once again it will
not correct a hole which is determined to squeak and the only cure is to
thin the reed and reduce its tendency to produce the harmonics.

More random thoughts - another thing which induces the harmonic is a change
in the air pressure - easing off the bag-pressure can do it, or suddenly
increasing the pressure. Irish pipers overblow by putting down the chanter
on their knee, suddenly stopping the air flow and starting it again - and of
course NSP's do the same thing BETWEEN EVERY NOTE!
Some other possibilities - 1) the key is loose in its slot so that it
wobbles sideways and the pad doesn't always seat right on the hole. 2) the
end of the key does not seat down absolutely square to the hole, and so one
side "touches down" or lifts up slightly before the other.

So to sum up - basically hard reed makes a chanter easily produce its
natural harmonics, which form when the column of air breaks at certain
points only - hence it's just the one key which makes the squeak. The
harmonic comes when the chanter is PARTLY vented at or very near to one of
those points.

So, I've not got all the answers, but some of these ideas may help.
Philip Gruar