Mineral Oil, near the beer and bul'its!

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:32 PM
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: boring discovery

No it went by another name.
Can't remember what it was called though but there was a big discussion
about it some time ago - round July 2005 (I think it is known as mineral
oil
in the States which again means something totally different in the UK).
The main thing to remember is that it's primary use is as a laxative and
is
available at a pharmacy for that purpose. That will also ensure that it
is
of good quality. If it can't be taken, it's the wrong stuff. It's also
not
something that burns in a stove (paraffin over here is what you call
kerosene in the US and that is NOT what we are talking about - unless
you
are really fed up with your pipes although it is the same substance - as
is
candle wax - but t a different stage in it's production!).
There was also a discussion on whether it had an adverse effect on some
synthetic materials (pads etc) so here's the answer to that one from
Mike
Sharp sent to the list last year in response to a question from Colin
Ross..

Colin Hill

>I asked my wife the chemist to comment on Colin's question.  Here is
her
response:

>Well first I had to figure out exactly what Liquid paraffin oil is.  I
appears to be the same thing as Mineral oil.

> "Mineral oils are of variable composition depending on the boiling
>    point of the fractions used. For food purposes usually liquid
>    petrolatum or liquid paraffin are employed which consist
essentially
>    of n-alkanes and some cyclic paraffins."
>

>N-alkanes present in mineral oil are things like heptadecane (17
carbons),
ecosane (20 carbons), tetracosane (24 carbons) and dotriacontane (32
carbons).  A cycloparaffin present is dodecycyclohexane (C18).
>Depending on the boiling point of the liquid paraffin oil what the
average
length of the alkanes would be.  Longer chains would give a higher
boiling
point.

>Chemical Resistance Charts indicate for mineral oil:
>B - minor effect on LDPE (low density polyethylene), polycarbonate
(Lexan),
PVC, hypalon(r), neoprene, and tygon(r)
>C - moderate effect on silicone and PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
>D - severe effect; not recommended on EPDM (Ethylene propylene diene
monomer, synthetic rubber) and natural rubber

>Synthetic leathers appear to be either a polyurethane film or a PVC
sponge
on fabric.  Polyurethane is supposedly chemically resistant to mineral
oil.
Mineral oil would have a moderate effect on the PVC. So this type of
synthetic leather could be a possibility.

>So, without knowing what the exact composition of the synthetic leather
bellows, this is the information I can offer.

>--Sheri

I hope this helps.

    --Mike

Este mensaje (incluyendo los archivos adjuntos) esta dirigido solo al receptor
senalado y puede contener informacion de caracter privilegiada, privada o
confidencial.  Si usted no es el receptor senalado o bien ha recibido este
mensaje por error, por favor notifique inmediatamente al remitente y elimine el
mensaje original.  Cualquier otro uso de este mensaje de correo electronico
esta prohibido.