John.

As a fellow cyclist and piper you have my very deep, if confused,
sympathy.  I'm a very mediocre player but a serious injury to either
hand would have an exponential effect on my overall happiness with
life since I love music and my pipes so much.

However, I don't understand what keys you would be hitting with your
right thumb.  If general strength or mobility is affected, perhaps a
"hook" like some recorder players have might make holding the chanter
more stable and there should be space for one to be superglued or
screwed into place by your pipemaker.  Now, if you are talking about
your right index finger, that's something else.

John

Rev John Clifford
42 Sir Stafford Close, Caerphilly CF83 3BA, Wales UK
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

still looking for other pipers in SE Wales