Christopher Creutzig wrote:

- I can't include blank lines in \startlilypond...\stoplilypond,
 because in the buffer I will get a \par for that.  There is
 probably some easy way around this, but I haven't found the
 idiom yet.
redefine par -)

- Currently, the whole generation only works with shell_escape=t.
 Is there a way to use the automp mechanism for other external
 programs, such as lilypond, as well?  It would also save quite
 some time to only typeset each piece of music only once.

\startmode[*first] % \v!first

\stopmode

(or: \doifmode ... )

- How can I detect whether a pdf file contains multiple pages?
\getfiguredimensions[...] % same args as \externalfigure

\noffigurepages

- When typesetting a longer block, I'd like to tell lilypond
 how much space there is left on the first page, to have music
 break across pages smoothly with the text.
hm, rougly \pagegoal-\pagetotal-\whateverdistanceneeded