Jörg Hagmann wrote:
Dear Hans and Taco,

Thanks for the answers. I'll read "details.pdf" again...

I placed the pdf file of one unfinished chapter on www.ogbasel.ch/book.html <http://www.ogbasel.ch/book.html> (3.5 MB). Note that Fig. 3.12 happens to be the way I want it. Why this particular figure chose to behave I don't know, putting nothing after \placefigure[] and most options [left,right,inner etc.) don't make a difference.

Interesting looking document. :-)

I think it only visually behaves correct because of some whitespace
to the right, and it is probably just centered (just like the others).

Something along these lines may help:

 \placefigure[whatever-ref]{}
     {\hbox to \hsize
        {\doifrightpageelse{\hss}{}%
         \hbox to 1.2\hsize{!\hss Stuff\hss!}%
         \doifrightpageelse{}{\hss}}}

You still have to fiddle a bit to integrate with the other figures,
but this should get yet you started. Note that this "solution"
depends on  \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided], it won't
work for singlesided documents.

Taco