Hi!

On 10/30/2010 11:34 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:17:11AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 30-10-2010 12:05, Khaled Hosny wrote:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:25:20PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
By far the easiest and most portable solution would be if you could
convince Taco to implement something like "latin a is equivalent to
cyrillic a as far as hyphenation is concerned" (which could also solve
many other problems that we have). Actually, you can already do that
by redefining \lccode of latin a to point to cyrillic a (and do that
for the whole alphabet), but then you need to make sure that you don't
use any commands for lowercasing/uppercasing words. If you need
details, I can help you out, but first exact transliteration rules are
needed.

I was thinking, since using \lccode for hyphenation is really a wired
choice (I'm sure don has a good reason back then, but such things are
usually no longer relevant), and since it is used in a sort of
controlled environment (playing with \lccode's for hyphenation is not
ever one's toy), may be luatex can break the backward compatibility in
the hyphenation area and have a dedicated new code, \hycode or
something, only for hyphenation purposes (may be backward compatibility
can be kept by using it in addition to \lccode, maybe).

What do you think?

just any letter (catcode letter) would do and the rest is to be
controlled by the patterns

The issue here is that we want to make some character equivalent to each
other, e.g. ' and ’ which are needed for some languages, without the
need to duplicate the patterns.

Before jumping too deep to the subject, consider if it really worth an effort. There is not much more then, titles written in the transliterated text. No continuous reading.

My experience says, whatever language is the original title, reader usually expects hyphenation similar to the language of the main text. Whenever I've used English patterns in English titles (even citations), they where changed by the Czech proofreader -- though they were perfectly correct in English -- to resemble Czech patterns. I'm not saying it is the right approach, but from the readers' and proofreaders' point of view if he reads in Czech and doesn't now English patterns or even English, patterns different from Czech are disturbing.

Jano