Thanks Ben,  I have the basics on private/public key and generating your own
key, but I think they are wanting it verified by a CA.  I posted the
requirements below to make it easier and eliminate the barrier (me) from the
actual need..

We used to handle about 300 people worldwide utilizing PGP, missionaries
mostly operating in "Secure" areas of the world and that was a royal pain..
Especially when someone didn't post their key to the centralized key ring,
etc....Why cant this person get my email?  Point finger ---->here..

This just seemed to be a few steps higher up the PKI knowledge tree than I
have experience with..

I just need to know which provider can do what is needed... I appreciate any
insight into this, as most of the queries are pulling up ssl certs or verisign
for pki infrastructure.  I think  I just need a smartcard with the software or
utilize gnu with the cert they provide....  Any pointers....

To start off line signature you have to click on the button
Off line signature  or  Off line validation  instead,
thus downloading those new or updated data into a single file with name
extension .txt (it has a text format)
which you save on a directory of your choice or is automatically saved on the
desktop.
Please do not change the file name, the file content nor the file name
extensions automatically assigned.

b) Digitally sign the downloaded file with your smart card or security token,
by means of the executable file, software tool or utility usually supplied by
the same provider, which you have to install on your computer, in case you sign
with a smart card, or which may be available on your security token.
You start the execution of that software and digitally sign a file in many
ways, for instance by choosing an option from the menu you can see after a
right click on the file icon or file name.

This signature is performed in asynchronous mode, which means:
outside from our web application, with no deadline.
This signature must be made by a person delegated from his/her company to
register its Medical Devices and/or Medical Devices of other delegating
companies,  by means of our web application.

For instance, if you have downloaded a file called
DatiAltreAziende210420091820471411.txt
after the digital signature its name should have become
DatiAltreAziende210420091820471411.p7m or
DatiAltreAziende210420091820471411.txt.p7m
Besides .p7m  another valid file name extension of the signed file could also
be .p7s , which differs because in this case the file is not encrypted,
while any other file extension of signed files, as for instance .pdf , can't
never be signed or accepted by our web application.

After this point of the signature process,
do not change, by means of our web application,
any data you have previously modified and downloaded in the above mentioned
.txt file
until the following c) step (upload) has been completed:
otherwise that following step will not be successful until the previous step
(download) has not been repeated before.
For a Medical Device, or a System or assembled kit, the data subject to a
single signature also include:
- the names of the manufacturer, agent or other delegated subject
- the EC certificates
- the data of any other Medical Device required for its functioning (as
registered in our data base)
- the data of any other component of the System or assembled kit.

c) Then, using again our web application, through its main menu Off line
signature and its option:
Upload signed files
select and upload in our web application the file you have signed at the
previous step.
Click on the Browse button to perform the search of the directory which
contains the signed file to be selected, then click on the Save button.
Then in a short while a message will inform you about the final result of your
off line signature,
confirming if the signature operation has been successful.
In case the mandatory first signature described above at point 1) has not been
performed before,
a warning message is shown.
The same happens in case a manufacturer, agent or other delegated subject has
been previously selected during the registration of  the data of a Medical
Device or System or assembled kit now subject to the signature, but the data of
the same manufacturer, agent or other delegated subject has been only saved and
not also signed after their registration.
Off line signature is properly made only after the completion of this third
step of its process:
in case you sign a file on your computer but later you never upload the
corresponding signed file into our web application, the data included in the
signed file will not turn out signed.

In case you have signed to validate Medical Devices data, you can check their
status, which is shown in the corresponding row of any Medical Devices list
using our application:
it is expected to have become V (validated)
and, within the following 24 hours, to automatically become P (published).
You can check the result of the signature using the feature described in the
following chapter of our web application user manual for foreign manufacturer:
2.4.1.9.1 View the DM validation status .

Greg Sweers
CEO
ACTS360.com
P.O. Box 1193