Angus

This is a really good article and should be a case study on how not to manage
change in an organisation. Regardless of the technology or solution when the
end users 'push back' on change you can either demonstrate the value in the
product and the IT department or give in and accept that staff do not value the
IT and the IT department do not have confidence in their own skills.

We had the exact opposite - now running 8 and 2012 on more machines all other
OS types put together and really appreciating the speed increases, quicker
navigation of the windows desktop, integration of apps, much better security ...

The timescale of the article is very interesting as while the final OS was
released in August there were no apps until the public release as they all had
to be re-compiled and tested on final code. Also in October there was a major
patch (160-ish Mb) which was like a mini service pack. Internally while we have
been using the product for over a year we only just consider it as fully
released.

Our end user feedback has been very different with the semi-techies as the
hardest crowd to please as they have a little knowledge picked up via Google
and no desire to change their ways. We find 10 minutes of show-and-tell and
then a few quick refreshers over the next few days a very easy way to get the
new features across. Responses have ranged from "Great" on older kit to
"Awesome" for Win8 on Win8 hardware (which has only been available to purchase
for about a week).

The author makes a really good point about how an IT platform can unravel if
there is not business case or reason for specific parts of it. A business can
evolve and change and the technology need can change - along with the
maturity/stability of a solution. We are currently finding a significant number
of our clients with Apple hardware are struggling to understand why after 2
years their support option is to replace while their 4-5 year old boxes are
still performing well and still fully covered under manufacturers warranties
and get full support from Microsoft.

To me it seems like Windows 8 has shifted the technology landscape in a way
that last happened with windows 95. All the old logic is being tested and for a
lot of companies there is a moment of truth that they are simply employing
technology to fix what is broken in their business processes as that's easier
than coming to terms with changing their business model. What's really
interesting is looking back at those companies who embrace change and are
thriving compared to those who saw no value in using to technology to manage
their business.

Mike