From: Durf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:26 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: "Vista Antivirus 2008" malware removal

Hey guys;

I was called in to look over another tech's customer who had a system where
they had (mostly) removed the "Vista Antivirus 2008" fake AV malware.   The
only issue still remaining was what we thought at first was a simple browser
redirection issue - visting a huge number of security-related sites resulted in
a 404.

Well, it wasn't a BHO, and it wasn't a redirect, and it's not a HOSTS file.
It's something screwed in the TCP/IP stack.  NSLOOKUP returns the proper DNS
result for a site, but when you send any traffic to it at all - ping, let's say
- it's redirected to localhost.

Anyone seen this before and fixed it by means other than burning down the
system, which is what I'm going to recommend otherwise?

-- Durf

--
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.