On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
> Please be aware that 2008 and 2008 R2 are very different in this regard -
> they are as different as Vista and Win7 are in desktop appearance.
>
> Install the Print Server role and read the documentation/help file that comes
> with it. It goes into detail how to migrate.

I am doing that. The questions I have concern listing the print queues
in AD. My primary print server (Win2003) is still online and servicing
these printers. I will be retiring this server and renaming it, and
then renaming the Win2008 server to the old name. At that point, I
should import the saved list of printers from the Win2003, and then
make sure they are listed in the directory. And make sure that the
printers are un-shared from the Win2003 server, of course.

This should be completely transparent to my users, who have printers
assigned as "PRINTSERVERNAME\PRINTER".

Just checking to see if that makes sense, or if I've forgotten anything.