On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM, David Warde-Farley <d...@cs.toronto.edu>wrote:

> The Python.org sources for 2.6.x has a script in the Mac/ subdirectory
> (I think, or in the build tools) for building a 4-way universal binary
> (i386, x86_64, ppc and ppc64). You can rather easily build it (just
> run the script) and it will produce executables of the form python (or
> python2.6) suffixed with -32 or -64 to run in one mode or the other.
> So, python-32 (or python2.6-32) will get you 32 bit Python, which will
> work with wxPython using wxMac, or python-64, which will not (but will
> do everything in 64-bit mode). I've successfully gotten svn numpy to
> build 4-way using such a 4-way Python.

After having some trouble I decided to try this way to build universal 32/64
bit intel framework build and just use that as my main python for my work.
(Had some problems with macports and virtualenv, I want to leave the system
one alone and theres no 64 bit python.org build).

Just in case any one else tries this - there is a problem where it's
impossible to select the 32 bit architecture:
http://bugs.python.org/issue6834
It might be possible to work around or use the alternative pythonw.c in the
ticket - but it won't be fixed in a release until 2.7.

Cheers

Robin