During an unsuccessful search for the adult Black-headed Gull this morning, I
found a first-winter BLACK-HEADED GULL on the same fishing pier that the adult
has been. It was not as windy today (15-20 mph instead of 25-30 mph) so I can't
say for certain the adult has refuted my extreme wind theory I posited in my
earlier post. Here are a couple of digi-bin shots of the immature:

http://picasaweb.google.com/aplomadoperegrine/BlackHeadedGullSDec2010#

I left briefly only to get a phone call from Heydi Lopes that she was coming to
try and see the adult. Unfortunately when I got back there was a couple walking
a large Black  Lab on the pier and  the bird was not to be found. Heydi and her
sister Pam  (visiting from New Orleans) joined me for an additional 30 minutes
of unsuccessful searching.

Shane Blodgett
Brooklyn NY