Among the many Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and one Lapland Longspur at Jones
Beach West End (lawn between boat basin pavilion and gazebo) was a very unusual
lark. In terms of structure and overall plumage pattern, it was clearly a
Horned Lark, but its face and breast were suffused with an intense, rubescent
tone (adjective inspired by alternate-plumaged American Pipit). This deep,
pink-cinnamon color was visible throughout the face and upper breast, but
yellow was still obvious through it in the rear supercilium and throat. The
bird showed less black than most female HOLA on the face and breast crescent,
and it appeared slightly smaller than the numerous adjacent northern alpestris
(and some praticola and hoyti candidates). I don't know if this is simply an
odd variant or consistent with an unfamiliar extralimital population of this
widespread and variable species.

In an example of GTTI (gross tag-team ineptitude), Pat had left her phone home
today and I left mine in the car, so we had no means of getting photos. We went
back later and I got some very distant shots before the flock flushed yet again
and the focal bird vanished (as the LALO had also).

Given the amount of photographic attention this flock has been getting, perhaps
there are good photos out there.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore