On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Allen Tom <a...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> As a security person, I'm hesitant to bring this up, but perhaps the Device
> Flow should just be the flow for native client apps.

I'm open to this.

I'd suggest differentiating between devices that can open a web
browser (native apps), and apps that can't open a browser
(refrigerators).

For refrigerators: you need a device code that is short enough to
type.  Because the code is short, an attacker could theoretically
brute force the code and link someone else's device to the attacker's
account.   See [2] for the math on how long the attack would take.

For native apps: the native app can open a web browser with the device
code on the URL.  The code can be very long and impossible to
brute-force.  The session fixation/phishing attack still exists, but I
agree that could be addressed with good UI.

[2]
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/oauth/trac/attachment/wiki/SecurityConsiderations/OAuth%20WRAP%202.0%20Security%20Considerations.pdf,
last two pages have the math on the device profile.  Marius has
pointed out that the device secret completely prevents one of the
attacks I was worried about.  But brute forcing the device code is
still a risk.

Cheers,
Brian