Hi Pablo,
I agree with you re the indirect use of IM. I don't necessarily see a big
problem with this paper's approach because every approach has its
downsides. In fact, some really successful projects and products are built
on designs that are shunned by the "collective wisdom" of academia and
engineering communities, but they work, they do the job, and most important
of all, the cost of dealing with design related issues is acceptable, given
the expectations from the system.
This is the key: what is the expectation? What defines success in an
openEHR implementation? It is very context specific, with human,
institutional and other factors having their effect on technical factors.
I'm not saying that you're suggesting anything on the contrary, just trying
to make a point that this is an implementation that made it to a
functioning state and many factors in that process is unknown to us. The
authors may not even be able to share those factors.
If my memory is correct, when I read this paper some time ago, it mentioned
an earlier study, probably by the same group, but I could not access it.
That'd be interesting to read as well.