In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] disable window maximize when moved...:

You were looking for the wrong window Manager.
Mate's Marco is the default.

Ok, thanks.  I knew about Marco, but under the older gnome 2 desktop,
compiz was used for some settings.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/554934/ubuntu-mate-14-04-how-to-disable-window-maximizing-when-title-bar-dragged-to-to

Thanks, that does appear to have fixed it.  The gsetting/dconf setting
is
        org.mate.Marco.general side-by-side-tiling

which seems oddly-named for what it actually does, but setting it to
false got rid of the behavior.

Thanks again!

Tim