Looking at the original exception in the example above, this was due to
the lyrics being None.

Looking in editsongform.py, in _processLyrics there is an catch all
error trap, which means if there is an error processing the lyrics then
it'll attempt to save the song without them. Wouldn't we be better off
removing this error trap and letting it propagate to the user? We
shouldn't ignore/hide these errors, and ideally want to fix the original
cause.

Yes I agree. But how knows if that try-except hid other things, which will suddenly appear when we remove it? Anyway, should be changed as soon as possible.