Hi Glenn,

  Orkut is being more sensitive about having proper XML data in your
application.  If you see that, make sure that your gadget parses as valid
XML (whitespace before the <?xml tag is a big cause of this)

  If you are manually constructing that URL, the URL of your gadget spec
also needs to be encoded.  The javascript function encodeURIComponent() can
encode the gadget URL correctly.

  I've made a bookmarklet that allows you to install apps in the sandbox.
Install the bookmarklet, view your application xml, and click the "Install
to Orkut SB" button:

http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/utils/bookmarklets/trunk/orkutbookmarklets.html
  I've only tested this on Firefox so far, so there's no guarantee on
whether it will work in IE.

Hope this helps,
~Arne