I don't really know what you mean by "mode" -- your application won't
be accessed at all when a user first signs in. Only when a user views
your application (navigates to its canvas page or a profile page which
hosts it) will its code execute.

You'll be happy to know that the OpenSocial 0.8 specification includes
a NETWORK_PRESENCE field for returning whether a user is currently
signed in:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.8/reference/#opensocial.Person.Field.NETWORK_PRESENCE

Please note that orkut currently supports OpenSocial 0.7 applications
only at this point, but does plan to support 0.8 applications when the
Shindig implementation is complete. Unfortunately, I can't confirm
whether orkut will support the NETWORK_PRESENCE field since it is
optional, but if it does, this would be your best bet for the type of
application you're planning. Stay tuned to the orkut developer blog
for platform updates:

http://orkutdeveloper.blogspot.com/

- Jason