Technically, yes, you can a type=url gadget, but you won't be able to
make it socially aware using the OpenSocial APIs. As mentioned in the
Gadgets API documentation:

"The type="url" content type is currently not fully supported by the
gadgets.* or OpenSocial APIs."
http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/fundamentals.html#Content_Type

orkut is only accepting apps with social functionality, so type="url"
gadgets aren't your best bet at the present time.

- Jason