I just tried your code (with the right function declaration and
'output' instead of innerHTMl calls) in the OpenSocial Dev app
(http://osda.appspot.com/)

var sendEmail = function(name,recipient,title, body) {
              var params = [];
              params[opensocial.Message.Field.TITLE] = title;
              params[opensocial.Message.Field.TYPE] =
                  opensocial.Message.Type.EMAIL;
              var message = opensocial.newMessage(body, params); //
till this the code works fine
              opensocial.requestSendMessage(recipient, message,
function(data) { //user id is given as recipient here
              if (data.hadError()) {
                output("There was a problem:" + data.getErrorCode());
              } else {
                outoput("Email sent successfully!!!");
              }
            });
            }

sendEmail("John Doe", opensocial.IdSpec.PersonId.VIEWER, "hello", "how
are you");

and it seems to work fine in the sandbox.orkut and prod.sandbox.orkut.

Can you try it and let me know if you're still seeing some issues and
if so please specify where you're trying this code.