A gadget XML file represents a full application, not a single "page"
of an application. You are encouraged to build your application using
the asynchronous methods that the gadgets.* and OpenSocial APIs
provide. Instead of redirecting users to a new page, for example, you
can use gadgets.io.makeRequest to fetch the data for that page and
dynamically update the app's view when the data is returned. This
provides a much more friendly experience for the user, more akin to a
desktop application than a traditional web app. If you insist on using
"pages," you will have to use a technique documented in the orkut
Developer's Guide:

http://code.google.com/apis/orkut/docs/orkutdevguide/orkutdevguide-0.8.html#ops_querystring

This basically boils down to passing a parameter (e.g. the name of the
page you want to load) to the application, which parses it at load
time and renders the appropriate content. While this should work, it's
messier then the approach described above and not much easier to
implement.

As far as your second question, the dialogue box is required. Users
are given a quota limiting the number of messages they can send per
day from all applications combined. Because of this, they must perform
the actual operation themselves, although the application is welcome
to prompt them with the dialogue.

Cheers!
- Jason