Well, I would have a hard time discussing policies, ethics, etc. But I
know that the Facebook API allows exactly that. I just hope it can
also be possible in OpenSocial containers.

Being able to see your friends' photos using a gadget would allow 3rd
parties developers to provide new experiences in the way you interact
with these photos. And that's exactly what I'm working on.