On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 03:07:44PM -0400, Brian Utterback wrote:
> Nicolas Williams wrote:
> >I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a separate SMF service for
> >doing an ntpdate early at boot time (say, svc:/network/ntpdate:default),
> >with svc:/network/ntp:default having an optional dependency on the
> >former.
>
> As I explained above, that is no longer necessary. In addition, the
> ntpd program now has a feature to retry hostname look-ups that fail
> during initialization, so the need to wait for the naming service is
> also no longer a problem. So, ntp can now start very early without
> difficulty. This will make interaction with Secure DNS easy.

Looking at the NTP docs, I see that there's a pair of ntpd options that
can be used to do what ntpdate does: -g and -q.  I think it would be
useful to have a property to cause the clock to be set quickly at
startup time -- separately from the option to wait for time to
synchronize.

Also, during the code review I noticed that you set the start method
timeout to 1800 seconds.  Clearly that's too large if time will be set
quickly (ntpd -gq ...) first, but just right otherwise.

Nico