Darren J Moffat wrote:

> I don't think it should be removed instead a simple extension to have it look
> in ~/.compiz/plugins/`uname -p`/ before ~/.compiz/plugins/

Is 'uname -p' enough? Won't that only account for solaris on different
processors?

I don't know about others, but my homedirs are shared among more OS than
just SPARC and X86 Solaris. Finding something that will handle all the
combinations might be too much though.
> Note that the whole Mozilla suite of programs suffers from this same
> problem, but they at least have an environment variable that users can
> set to use for finding plugins, eg:
>       MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/lib/sparc/mozilla/plugins/
>
> If compiz has a similar environment variable for plugins then that for
> me would be sufficient.

Instead this might the most flexible solution. Users with multi
OS/platform home dirs could handle it in their login scripts.
> Disabling plugins completely is for me worse than not being able to
> support a directory structure containing multiple architectures.

I agree.

   -Kyle