Matt Ingenthron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd be disappointed if there were a significant amount of further
> separation from SUNW packages.  I have no ability to influence it, but
> iff the community settles on a package framework, I'd rather see a set
> of OSOLblah packages or something like that projects like Blastwave
> could depend upon being in any (most?) Open Solaris based distributions.

Su of course has the ability to influence this, just OpenSource the right
packages at the right time....

Separation from Sun Solaris only happens where the needed (Sun) software is
not available in a useful way. OpenSolaris develops its own life that
is driven by OpenSource constraints and as long as Sun Solaris includes
closed sourse solutions at important parts, there is separation driven
by closed source.

> On a recent services engagement with a customer, one of the admins was
> vi challenged.  He was used to Linux where pico was found on many
> systems.  I helped him get pkg-get on the Solaris 10 system and
> proceeded to pkg-get "pine", which included pico.  However, the set of
> dependencies was SIGNIFICANT.  I don't recall exactly what was on there
> that I didn't expect, but it was stuff like MySQL, OpenLDAP, etc.  All
> stuff that pine to my (admittedly shallow-- I used it back in '95-'97)
> knowledge doesn't depend upon in all installations.

The set of dependencies needed for a lot of OSS packages is a result of the
fact that a lot of software developers moved from Solaris towards Linux
during the past 10 years.

> Coming up with a set of CSW* that will almost exactly map to SUNW* would
> likely exacerbate this problem.

To discuss this in a useful way, it would help if you could send a list
of dependency packages you have in mind.

> <OPINION> I think whatever packaging decisions are made in the OSOL
> community should be more focused on the attributes that it should have,
> rather than looking at the current or existing packaging systems.  For
> instance, it would sure be nice if a CSWblah package could depend upon
> SUNWfoo xor/or CSWfoo.   It might also be nice if there could be "loose"
> dependencies.  For instance, installing pine you may want an LDAP
> server, but you might be using one on another system and you might want
> to choose from OpenLDAP and Sun Directory (both package based).

This causes tests.... unfortunately, in many cases the reimplemantations
from the FSF are not compatible with Sun's libs.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/