On Wednesday 24 August 2005 04:09 am, ken mays wrote:
> Alan & Others,
>
> Yes, the sources are available for the Companion CD
> as posted on the website and can be put on a DVD as
> well for those that would like to rebuild the code.
> Yet, I think historically a few things were missing -
> the notes on how to properly rebuild the source and
> the compiler (which is now free to OpenSolaris
> members). Also, a way to submit/commit an upgraded
> package to Sun if you volunteered your services.

There was not real magic to building the packages, but you need to install
them first, and if memory is good, the sources go in /opt/sfw/src or
something like that. Each package goes into it's own directory.

Some of this is being worked out as we type, so it's not completely sorted
out, but the sources are for what is built, AFAIK, and Sun has never held
anything back in the way of patches or fixes.

> Also, what about a Year 2005 experience of getting not
> only the original source but the fully patched and
> modified source that can be downloaded and rebuilt
> with just a simple './configure' instead of having to
> search and add several patches (this is not only in
> open source but in commercial products). Well, we can
> ponder over this one.
>
> Isn't there a support forum for the Companion CD?

There is no Companion CD group anymore, so only the freeware web page exists
to download them.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering