> As a user I don't want more than one tar. I want one
> tar that works for me.
> And guess what? Yep, I want it named tar, not gtar,
> futar, star, etc...the
> command is tar and I would expect it to be in the
> core filesystem in most all
> cases (exceptions permitting).

A radical idea...

How about putting solaris in /usr/basis, gnu in /usr/gnu, etc.  Put nothing in
/usr/bin except links to the commands you really want with the names you really
want.  Personally I think this wouldn't work, because of the expectations of
/usr/bin.

So, a second suggestion is to create /usr/<role> directories with links to
/usr/bin /usr/bin/bin, etc.  This way the role specifies what customizations
the admin wants users to have.  Something like the partitioning of /usr/bin vs
/usr/sbin.

I liken this to /etc/init.d and the /etc/rc?.d links where the admin chooses
what service he wants to start and under what condition to start it.

I too would like a single tar, but I also know that because of the differences
in implementation I need more than one.  Sometimes I need to pull out gtar
because it's the only thing that will extract something generated by gtar.