Thanks Stephen and Eric.

My intent is to produce a community.  The development effort will be in-house,
then released as open source once it is completed.

I have been asked by Stephen Hahn to articulate how a CIFS community is needed,
meaningful, and separate.

It is needed in the sense that, currently, there is no place to post
specifically about CIFS/smbfs.  Right now the only option for finding relevant
material is to do a site search for 'CIFS', and for posting you can make a blog
or a thread.  I guarantee that we'd have a small, interested community using
this right off the bat.  I suspect it would grow in time.

It would be meaningful to solaris CIFS client users as they would have a place
to exchange experiences and a way to contact the Solaris open source community
with feedback.  Even before we have released, it was already quite motivating
to hear various people express their interest on this thread and I passed their
enthusiasm on to the development team. :)

It would be separate, because CIFS is not ZFS, it is not UFS, it is not SVM,
and it is not NFS.  It is SMBFS, however, and I don't see a SMBFS community,
otherwise I would have just used that one.

Furthermore, these other FS's have communities, so unless we want to send the
message out that CIFS will be a second class citizen on Solaris, I think it
would be reasonable to match the level of exposure this gets on the site with
the level of exposure of these other communities.

In summary, I believe a community would be ideal.  If for some reason, it is
perceived that there isn't enough evidence to justify one right now, there is
no doubt in my mind that there will be enough evidence to justify one once it's
released.   For example, I have already been asked to start preparing
presentations about CIFS and it's integration with the Solaris kernel.  It
would be nice to refer the audience to a location they can get more information
from and interact with as the need arises.  I believe it would be ideal to get
it started now instead of throwing one together at the last minute to handle
the demand.

Here is a shot at the header text that could be at the top of the community:

------------------
The Common Internet File System (CIFS), also known as the Server Message Block
File System (SMBFS), is used today to access servers employing the extended SMB
protocol, such as Windows file shares, or Window's Distributed File System
(DFS), if DFS-aware.

There are several CIFS client and server implementations across numerous
platforms.   The distributed nature of the work leads to many interoperability
situations, which has brought us to having a CIFS community.  The various
players in the CIFS world gather once a year for interoperability testing at
Connectathon'™'.

Welcome, we look forward to your contributions or questions.

Information resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIFS
... etc

Click here to view community organizers(link)

Mark Sweeney